Who doesn’t LOVE bread…unfortunately it quickly adds to the the tire around our stomachs. My job is to figure out how to make something delicious – delicious and healthy. So if you’ve enjoyed zucchini bread before, here are five reasons to love this healthy zucchini bread recipe perfected for you:
Five reasons to love this recipe:
- Most zucchini bread recipes call for one cup of greater zucchini, but I pumped it up with one-and-a-half cups. Even then, I can’t say there’s a pronounced zucchini flavor to it, because zucchini doesn’t have a ton of flavor in itself.
- I used egg whites instead of butter so instead of additional fat you’re taking in additional protein!
- This recipe includes a scoop of plant based vanilla protein powder which means each serving has 21.3g grams of protein! You can eat 1/4 of this bread loaf as a meal replacement:)
- I used oat flour instead of refined flour, so this bread is 100% gluten free.
- It’s also dairy free AND tastes delicious!
Thanks for visiting SBAC’s nutrition blog! Stay tuned each month for more healthy and delicious recipes by our Certified Sports Nutritionist, Shannon Carney.
This great recipe is not only gluten-free but also guilt-free and filling!
Did you know one medium zucchini is just 25 calories?
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (coconut sugar is awesome)
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (SunWarrior is a great plant-based protein powder)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts optional
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups shredded organic zucchini (about 3 medium)
- Non-stick cooking spray
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly coat two loaf pans with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine oil, applesauce, vanilla extract, and eggs – blend until smooth. Add sugar and continue to mix.
In a medium bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients (oat flour, vanilla protein powder, walnuts, baking powder, and ground cinnamon) and gently mix.
Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and stir until just moistened. Stir in zucchini. Fill prepared loaf pans with batter.
Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove loaves from pan and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Let cool completely before slicing.